Expression of Interest
Thank you for your interest in the Eco-Schools Australia’s Litter Legends Campaign (LLC), funded by Mars Wrigley.
In 2021, Eco-Schools Australia is running the Litter Legends Campaign (known internationally as Litter Less Campaign) for the sixth year. A limited number of eligible Aussie Eco-Schools will receive seed grants of $500 to implement a project to reduce litter and/or improve recycling in their school and community.
The campaign targets the behaviour, knowledge and opinion leadership of students. It aims for a 5-10% improvement. We also hope to see a 10% decrease in the amount of waste production or a 10% increase in the amount of waste diverted to recycling.
- To increase student knowledge and practical skills in preventing and managing litter and waste in the contexts of the global sustainable development agenda (SDGs)
- To improve students’ behaviour in preventing and managing litter and waste
- To promote and improve the schools’ waste management
- To reduce the litter and waste footprint of communities through changes in students’ attitude
- To create documentation of good practices and disseminate through social media and website
- To collaborate with other schools nationally or internationally in order to disseminate good examples, encourage to take action and increase the positive impact
- To create responsible youth through the ES programme methodology and educational principles
Participating schools are required to:
- Choose one of four criteria to follow
- Monitor the waste and litter produced in schools 6 times during the campaign with the aim of improving the waste management.
- Use 3 of the 10 lesson plans related to litter and waste link will be provided)
- Plan a problem-solving campaign based on their litter and waste issue
- Host one Community Action Day, involving the whole school, as well as parents, local stakeholders and Wrigley associates where possible.
- Complete a final report and share pictures of the campaign
Participating schools will implement the Litter Legends Campaign through the Eco-Schools Seven Steps:
- Form an Eco-Schools Committee
- Carry out an Environmental Review and Baseline Survey
- Action Plan
- Monitor and Evaluate
- Link to the Curriculum
- Inform and Involve
- Produce an Eco-Code